St. Andreas Castle is situated on a small hill on a headland on the north shore of Lake Zug, surrounded by a park. The complex with its outbuildings, which dates back to the ninth-century, was converted into a residence for Adelheid Page between 1903 and 1907 by Dagobert Keiser in the style of historicism. Apart from a new west wing in the Gothic and Renaissance style and technical installations, balconies and historicising decorations are also a result of the conversion.
The Pacher family takes great care to preserve the historic English park of Otto Fröbel, one of the famous landscape designers of his time. For 100 years the castle remained unchanged. In 2003 - 2012 the Pacher family and in collaboration with the Monument Conservation and Archaeology Department carried out the actual renovation of the building . The first cautious renovation measures extend internally on the ground floor and first floor and up to the façade. The residential floors were connected with an elevator in the northwest wing of the building. A new terrace with an external staircase was built on the west side of the castle, which was attached to the existing loggia. The enclosing wall of the terrace, which Diener & Diener designed together with August and Margrith Künzel, blends into the image of the existing building plinth and is also the most striking element of the stage of renovation. Pebbles of various sizes were inserted into the concrete formwork. The concrete mixes create an increasingly fine grain from the foot of the wall to the terrace parapet.
Client: Ferdinand und Sibylle Pacher
Location: Cham, Switzerland
Use / Function: Living rooms and terrace
Civil Engineer: Plüss Meyer Partner AG
Landscape Architects: August und Margrith Künzel Landscape Architects (terrace and wall), Vogt Landscape Architects (park)